Slider

Recent Tube

Local News

SPORTS

Mannar News

International News

Health

PHOTO

I will visit Sri Lanka again-Salman


Bollywood superstar Salman Khan, who visited Sri Lanka few days ago, said he expects to visit Sri Lanka again. In his twitter, he said, “…during d READY schedule in srilanka v hddn an eye camp there. …While shooting KICK jacqueline told me if v do another eye camp in srilankai should visit her restaurant also….v did a camp this week and i kept my promise and went to jacqueline's restaurant.” “…its worth a visit .i'm surely going back for more,” he tweeted. 

 The Bollywood superstar’s public endorsement of President Mahinda Rajapaksa during his visit to Sri Lanka infuriated opposition parties in Sri Lanka as well as Tamil Nadu.

Two large parts of crashed AirAsia 8501 plane found near oil spill


Search teams combing the Java Sea for AirAsia Flight 8501 have found two large and significant chunks of the aircraft near an oil spill off the island of Borneo, Indonesia’s National Search and Rescue Agency chief said Saturday local time during a news conference in Jakarta. 

 The discovery occurred on Friday night. The Airbus A320-200 crashed after going missing with 162 people on board Sunday. So far, 30 bodies have been found by dozens of ships and aircrafts from multiple countries carrying out the search. Search and rescue operators began finding bodies and wreckage on Tuesday. 

 The black boxes could be the key to finding out why the plane flying from Surabaya, Indonesia to Singapore, crashed roughly in the middle of its two-hour flight. The airplane went missing after the pilot asked air traffic control operators if it could divert from its flight path due to bad weather. Search and rescue operators were attempting to use a remotely operated underwater vehicle to photograph the objects, but weather was hamstringing the operation. Wind and heavy rain have been hampering the massive search this week.

Strong quake strikes in China’s Yunnan

A strong, shallow earthquake shook southwestern China’s Yunnan province late Tuesday evening, killing at least one person, sending thousands fleeing into the streets and damaging buildings, officials and reports said.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake measured magnitude 6.0 and was centered 18 kilometers (11 miles) from Weiyuan city at a depth of 10.1 kilometers (6.3 miles). Its shallow focus was likely to cause greater damage, but there were no immediate reports of serious destruction.

China’s national earthquake monitoring agency gave the quake’s magnitude as 6.6 and said it struck just 5 kilometers (3.1 miles) below the surface. It said the quake was followed by eight aftershocks, the strongest of which registered at magnitude 4.2.

The quake hit at 9:49 p.m. (1349 GMT) when most residents would have been in their homes.

Yunnan’s provincial earthquake monitoring center said at least one person was killed and 28 others injured.

Worst hit was the town of Yongping, just 5 kilometers (3 miles) from the epicenter, where some houses had collapsed, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

Yongping has a population of 54,000, while the surrounding county of Jinggu closest to the epicenter has a population of 290,000.

“The whole building was shaking terribly with a loud cracking sound. Plates fell off in the kitchen. We all ran out and the streets now are packed with people,” Li Anqin, a resident living in Weiyuan, Jinggu’s county seat, was quoted as saying by Xinhua.

Xinhua said strong tremors were felt in the provincial capital, Kunming, about 360 kilometers (220 miles) to the northeast. It said an initial 230-member rescue team had been dispatched to the quake area within two hours of its striking.

A state television reporter in the city of Pu’er, about 85 kilometers (53 miles) from the epicenter, said people fled buildings and were camping outdoors in anticipation of more aftershocks. The reporter, Wang Jian, said there was damage to structures and the local cellphone network, but had heard no reports of deaths or injuries.

The remote mountainous region near the border with Myanmar is prone to earthquakes. A 6.1-magnitude quake in northern Yunnan in August killed at least 615 people and left more than 100 others missing. In 1970, a magnitude-7.7 earthquake in Yunnan killed at least 15,000 people.

Nobel prize for blue LED invention

The 2014 Nobel Prize for physics has been awarded to a trio of Japanese scientists for the invention of blue light emitting diodes (LEDs).

 The blue LEDs developed by Professors Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura helped produce bright, energy-efficient white light sources. The winners, named at a press conference in Sweden, will share prize money of eight million kronor (£0.7m).

 The physics Nobel has been awarded to 196 other laureates since 1901. Prof Nakamura, who was woken up in Japan to receive the news, told the press conference, “It’s unbelievable.”

Hyderabad father allegedly kills two young sons, then himself

Nine-year-old Vittal, and his  five-year-old younger brother Nanda, went out with their father on Saturday. They did not return.

The police suspect that their father A.R. Guruprasad, an assistant professor, killed the two young boys before committing suicide. Guruprasad and the boys’ mother Suhasini had divorced in 2013 and the father had weekly visiting rights. On Saturday morning, the 44-year-old picked up Vittal, a class four student and Nanda, who was in upper kindergarten, from their home.

When they did not return by evening, Suhasini called on Gurumurthy’s cell phone to ask when he would bring the boys back home. The phone was answered by the police, who informed Suhasini that Gurumurthy had been run over by a train in James street. They said they suspected suicide.

But they had no news about the boys. The police said a suicide note they found later at Gurumurthy’s home in Alwal too had no mention of the boys; the note said he was killing himself because of the divorce.

But on Gurumurthy’s phone, the police said, they found an unsent SMS that said he had murdered the boys and buried them on a plot of land he owned  in Medchal.

The assistant professor was found dead on the rail tracks, his cellphone by his side. Hours before he died, the police said, he had visited Suhasini again, without the boys, and asked her to get back with him. She reportedly refused.

The police found the bodies of the two children on Monday afternoon, buried in Medchal. They suspect they were either poisoned or killed with a knife. The bodies have been sent for a postmortem.



Newsfirst

London is the best city in the world to work – the expectation versus the reality -Photos

London is the most popular city in the world to work in, an international survey of more than 200,000 people found.

The study by The Boston Consulting Group and totaljobs.com found respondents from 189 countries ranked London above New York and Paris, while Britain was second behind the United States as the most appealing country for international jobseekers.

While the survey – described by its compilers as the most expansive study conducted on worker mobility – found that almost two thirds of jobseekers were willing to move abroad to work, within Britain only 44 percent of people want to move overseas for work.

The survey of a mixture of the employed, unemployed, self-employed and students included a mix of people actively looking for a job, those not actively looking but open to opportunities and workers not looking for a new job at the moment.






http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/06/london-is-the-best-city-in-the-world-to-work-the-expectation-versus-the-reality-4894781/

MH370 search resumes in Indian Ocean

The search operation for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 has resumed in a desolate stretch of the Indian Ocean, more than six months after the jet disappeared.

 The GO Phoenix is one of three ships that will spend up to a year hunting for the wreckage, arrived in the search area about 1,800 kilometres (1,100 miles) west of Australia on Monday. 

 The other two ships will be joining the search operation later this month. Flight 370 vanished March 8 during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Prince Harry and Queen photobomb at Commonwealth Games

Prince Harry has photobombed New Zealand Commonwealth Games officials in Glasgow – and they were so chuffed one of them made it their profile picture on Facebook.

The Prince gave a cheeky thumbs up in the background of a selfie taken by New Zealand rugby sevens coach Sir Gordon Tietjens, Sport Manawatu chief executive Trevor Shailer and Massey University Professor Emeritus Gary Hermansson.

The three men in the their black and white New Zealand team kits leaned in with their arms around each other as the Royal popped up in the background in a white shirt.

hey were watching the 800m women’s swimming freestyle in Glasgow on Monday night, which saw Welsh swimmer Jazz Carlin win gold.

A chuffed Trevor Shailer quickly changed the photo to his Facebook profile picture.

He wrote: ‘Photo of the day…. A Royal photo bomb by Prince Harry with Titch (Sir Gordon) and Gary Hermansson at the Swimming venue tonight. Thanks to Bev Hari for taking the pic…fun times supporting our athletes at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games!’

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were also at the event with Harry at the Tollcross Swimming Centre in the Scottish city’s east.

Harry’s move comes after Queen Elizabeth inadvertently photobombed a selfie between Hockeyroo players Jayde Taylor and teammate Brooke Peris on Thursday.

They took the picture, which showed the Queen peering into the photo in the background, before their opening match of the Commonwealth Games against Malaysia, at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre.

Black box reveals what downed MH17 flight


Security officials in Ukraine say the downed Malaysia Airlines jet in eastern Ukraine suffered an explosive loss of pressure after it was punctured by shrapnel from a missile.

They say the information came from the plane’s flight data recorders, which are being analysed by British experts.

However, it remains unclear who fired a missile, with pro-Russia rebels and Ukraine blaming each other.

Many of the 298 people killed on board flight MH17 were from the Netherlands.

Dutch investigators leading the inquiry into the crash have refused to comment on the Ukrainian claims.

Heavy fighting has prevented an international police force composed of Dutch and Australian officers from reaching the crash site for a second consecutive day.

Ukraine’s army said on Monday it had managed to capture two towns near the wreckage in its bid to win back territory from the hands of the rebels.

The international delegation was stopped in Shakhtarsk, a town some 20 miles (30km) away from the area where flight MH17 was brought down.

The town was reportedly struck by shelling, causing residents to flee in cars.

“We are sick and tired of being interrupted by gunfights, despite the fact that we have agreed that there should be a ceasefire,” said Alexander Hug, the deputy head of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) team in Ukraine.

They had hoped to secure the site so that the wreckage and human remains can be examined by international crash experts. Most of the bodies have been removed, many of them repatriated to the Netherlands.

Ukrainian security spokesman Andrei Lysenko told reporters on Monday that the plane suffered “massive explosive decompression” after it was hit by fragments he said came from a missile.

Source: BBC

Karunanidhi hails TNA’s victory in Northern Province polls

DMK president M. Karunanidhi on Sunday hailed the victory of the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) in the provincial council polls held after a gap of 25 years in the former Tamil Tigers-ruled Northern Province in Sri Lanka. “I welcome this victory.

 I hope the new government and its members will work hard for implementation of the 13th amendment to the Sri Lankan constitution as expected by the Tamils the world over,” Mr. Karunanidhi said.

 The TNA trounced the ruling United People's Freedom Alliance (UPFA) coalition of President Mahinda Rajapaksa, grabbing 30 of the 38 seats in the much-awaited polls in the province.

New classroom building for Pre School

A new classroom building at the Gandhini Tamil Pre School in Kytes, Jaffna constructed by the Sri Lanka Army was declared open at a function held at the school premises on 18th September. Lack of proper classroom facilities was one of the most pressing needs of this school and realizing this security forces serving in Kytes made arrangements to gift the children of the school with a new class room building.

 The new facility has greatly benefitted the children who are now able to involve in their school activities in a better environment thanks to the efforts of the Sri Lanka Air Army. 

Housing aid for the people in Jaffna Meanwhile the Sri Lanka Army, as a part of its social welfare initiatives donated roofing sheets for the people of Thondamanaru in Jaffna district recently. Roofing sheets were distributed among 40 selected low income resettled families.



19 TN fishermen arrested by SL Navy

Nineteen fishermen, who ventured into the sea from Pudukottai district, were on Thursday arrested by the Sri Lankan Navy when they went for fishing in the Palk Strait, officials said.

It was not immediately known whether they were fishing in Indian or Lankan waters, Joint Director of Fisheries, Phelomin Thiagarajan, told PTI over phone from Pudukottai district.

The fishermen from Jejadhapattinam in the district had ventured into the sea in five boats.

They were taken along with their boats to Karainagar Army camp and had been lodged there, Arulanandham, President of the Innocent Fishermen’s Association said.

The arrest comes a day after a Ramanathapuram court remanded for 15 days five Sri Lankan fishermen, arrested by the Coast Guard with their boat last week on charges of fishing in Indian territory.

Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had slammed the Centre for remaining a “mute spectator” on the frequent arrests of Indian fishermen by Sri Lankan Navy.

In a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last month, she had said there was no concerted action on securing their release and sought his immediate intervention through diplomatic channels to secure the release of all fishermen from Tamil Nadu who are in Sri Lankan custody.

Her letter came in the wake of the arrest of 35 fishermen by the Lankan Navy.

Local mechanised boat fishermen had gone on protest voicing concern over continued incarceration of their colleagues in Lankan jails and demanded immediate steps by the Centre to set them free.


Twelve gold bars seized from 2 Lankan passengers in Goa

Two Sri Lankan passengers were arrested with 12 gold bars valued at Rs 3.60 crore from the Goa International Airport today, police said. The smuggling was detected by Air Intelligence Unit (AIU) officials of the Commissionerate of Customs and Central Excise at the airport, officials said. The gold bars, each weighing one kg, was detected while rummaging Air India aircraft number AI 984 which came to Goa from Dubai via Mumbai in the morning, Commissioner V P C Rao told reporters at a press conference this evening.

 Two packets of six gold bars each were found underneath the seat wrapped in carbon paper, he added. The gold was passed on to these passengers by their accomplices, who arrived from Dubai to Mumbai by this international flight, which gets converted later into a domestic flight. “This is a novel modus operandi adopted to smuggle gold from Dubai to hoodwink the Customs department, since they would escape the Customs radar at Customs exit points and the smuggled gold can be safely taken out of the aircraft by the other gang of smugglers posing as domestic passengers,” Rao said.

 Earlier last month, Customs and Central excise sleuths had cracked two cases of gold smuggling involving Sri Lankans. Navy arrests 19 Indian fishermen Sri Lanka Navy arrested a group of 19 Indian fishermen along with 5 trawlers while poaching in waters North of Kankasanthurai. Nava patrol craft attached to the Northern Naval Command arrested the Indian fishermen engaged in illegal fishing in the Northern Seas of Sri Lanka last night. The arrested fishermen and trawlers were handed over to Kayts Police for legal action, Navy media unit said.


Canadian Tamil Congress calls for free and fair Northern Provincial elections in Sri Lanka

Canadian Tamil Congress calls for free and fair Northern Provincial elections in Sri Lanka. Urges Tamil Canadians to encourage friends and family to vote in the elections. The Canadian Tamil Congress calls for free and fair Northern Provincial elections to be held in Sri Lanka. On September 21st, 2013, the people of Northern Province in Sri Lanka will go to the polls in 5 districts and it is crucial that they are able to do so in a free and fair manner. 

 In this respect, CTC calls upon all Tamils living in the North to exercise their democratic right and take part in the upcoming Northern Provincial elections. Submitting that ballot will send a decisive and explicit message to the Sri Lankan government and the international community. CTC urges all Tamil Canadians to encourage their relatives and friends in northern Sri Lanka eligible to vote in the upcoming Northern Provincial elections to go to the polls. CTC also urges Tamils living outside the North, but who are registered to vote to ensure that their votes are cast. 

 The democratic right of Tamils to vote is at great risk due to the intimidation, violence, and the potential of fraud. Recent reports from organizations on the ground including the Centre for Monitoring Elections Violence (CMEV) and Centre for Policy Alternatives (CPA) have reported several incidents of army intelligence and police intimidating the TNA candidates/supporters. 

These acts are obstructing the election campaign, particularly that of the Tamil National Alliance (TNA). CTC strongly condemns these degrading acts to intimidate the TNA, which enjoys the popular support of Tamils. "The Tamil community in Sri Lanka should be allowed to exercise their right to vote in a fair manner without the threat of intimidation, violence or fraud", said David Poopalapillai, National Spokesperson for the Canadian Tamil Congress. "It is the duty of the international community to safeguard this fundamental right of people in a country that has systematically violated the rights of its citizens", concluded Poopalapillai.


Foreign Election observers left for North

Foreign Election observers arrived in Sri Lanka to monitor the upcoming provincial council elections toured the North yesterday, the Elections Department said. A group of 13 members of the Election Monitors Organizations of the South Asia arrived on Friday and met with the Election Commissioner Mahinda Deshapriya on Saturday.

 They also met with the representatives of Political parties and local election monitors yesterday. The group will meet with the Inspector General of Police today before leaving to the North. The elections for the Northern, Northwestern and Central Provincial Council elections are scheduled to be held on September 21.

Meanwhile the Executive Director of local election monitoring group People's Action for Fair and Free Elections (PAFFREL), Rohana Hettiarachchi said a team of over 4,800 local observers will be deployed by the organization to monitor the polls in the three provinces. The election monitor along with the Centre for Monitoring Election Violence (CMEV) is the only two organizations accredited by the Elections Department to have observers in the polling stations on Election Day.